KS2 Staff

Year 3 – Fran Sykes

I grew up in Port Talbot and after completing my ‘A’ levels in Afan College, I attended teaching training college in Carmarthen. In 1999, after four years, I graduated with a Bachelor of Education (History focus). Once graduating I moved to work in an outer London school in Thamesead, I worked in a Reception class for 18 months before returning to Port Talbot. On my return I undertook supply teaching teaching within NPT area, covering maternity and long term sickness in several local schools. In 2004 I moved to Somerset where I worked in a small school in a growing town. Here I worked mainly within Foundation phase for just over 12 years before returning to Port Talbot, and my most recent post within Awel y Môr.

Year 3/4 – Rhiannon Toghill

I grew up in Neath and attended Dwr y Felin Comprehensive school. I always loved sport and played Netball since a young age. When I was 18 I went to University of Chichester to study a degree in education specialising in physical education. I lived and worked in Southampton after graduation and finally returned to Wales to get married in 2009. I spent a few years working in Cardiff before coming to work in Awel y Môr primary in 2015. In my spare time my family keep me very busy!

Year 4/5 – Nick Jones

I grew up in Maesteg and studied Sport at the University of Glamorgan. After graduating, I moved to Rotterdam, Netherlands, to play rugby and coach in schools and colleges, also I helped out with the Dutch under 18 team as they prepared for the European championships.

On returning to the UK, I worked as a one-to-one support in a school in Maesteg before going back to university to do my teacher training at Bath Spa.

In my free time I enjoy sport – playing and watching rugby and golf, travel and music – I love live indie rock music and enjoy going to gigs and festivals. I have a miniature dachshund named Hugo and enjoy taking him out on long walks on the beach.

Year 5 – Emma Joy

I joined the Awel y Môr team in 2018 and I love being part of such a vibrant and caring school. I have always wanted to be a teacher and I began my teaching career after completing my PGCE at Swansea Metropolitan University. After a year as a supply teacher I moved to Weymouth (Dorset) to teach and was a teacher there for 5 years before moving back to Wales in 2017. I have worked across KS2 and I have been the subject leader for English and PE.
Outside of school I love spending time with my family. Being a first time mum everything is new and exciting watching my daughter grow and develop. I also love cooking, – I think about food nearly 24/7 and enjoy walking my dog (Wren).

Year 6 – Lisa Whiteman

I was born and brought up in Skewen and I have lived there all of my life.  I went to Dwr y Felin Comprehensive school then on to Neath College to do my A levels before going to Swansea University to complete a B.A.Ed Hons in Primary Education.
My first teaching post was in Croeserw Primary school where I stayed for 13 years. During in my time in Croeserw I studied part time to complete my M.A. Education degree.  I became SENCo there in 2013 before moving to Awel y Môr to become ALNCo in 2014.
In my spare time I love to spend time with my family going for long walks on the beach or in the countryside with our chocolate brown Labrador,  Cassie.