Foundation Phase Staff

Nursery – Amanda Thyer

I grew up in Swansea and attended Swansea Institute where I studied Primary Education to become a teacher. I knew from the age of 3 that I wanted to be a teacher and worked hard all through school to achieve my goal. I qualified in 2002 and started work as a supply teacher. After a few years I finally landed a full-time permanent position at Glanymor. I transferred to Awel-y-Môr when the old schools joined together to form one new one. In my free time I enjoy music, training at Funky Pump and watching t.v.

Reception A – Fran Curnow

I grew up in Mumbles and went to Cardiff University where I studied European Community Studies (Bsc Econ with Spanish and French- living in Benidorm for a year!) and then completed my PGCE at Swansea University. I have been teaching on the Sandfields estate since 1990. I am married with 2 grown up children – Jack 26 and Beth 24. In my free time I enjoy reading, sewing, yoga and running, am a huge Corrie fan, love to watch the rugby and like to travel around Europe in my VW camper as much as possible during the holidays!

Reception B – Fran Sykes

I grew up in Port Talbot and after completing my ‘A’ levels in Afan College, I attended teaching training college in Carmarthen. In 1999, after four years, I graduated with a Bachelor of Education (History focus). Once graduating I moved to work in an outer London school in Thamesead, I worked in a Reception class for 18 months before returning to Port Talbot. On my return I undertook supply teaching teaching within NPT area, covering maternity and long term sickness in several local schools. In 2004 I moved to Somerset where I worked in a small school in a growing town. Here I worked mainly within Foundation phase for just over 12 years before returning to Port Talbot, and my most recent post within Awel y Môr.

Year 1 – Emma Locke

I attended Trinity College in Carmarthen where I trained as a primary school teacher. I taught in Bridgend County for 15 years in the infants/foundation phase before joining Awel y Môr in September 2018. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family and going on days out.

Year 1/2 – Gemma Davies

I grew up in Bristol and moved to South Wales in 2001, where I obtained my GCSE’s and A-Levels at St. Joseph’s Comprehensive and Sixth Form Centre. I attended Trinity University College Carmarthen, where I studied BA Primary Education and qualified as a teacher in 2007. I started my teaching career at Glan y Môr Primary School and transferred to Awel y Môr Primary School. In my free time, I love having fun with my three children, going on outdoor adventures and trying new things.

Year 2 – Rebecca Phillips

I grew up in Swansea and completed a BA in Primary Education (Literature and Media Studies) at Swansea Institute. Since graduating I have taught in schools across Swansea and Neath Port Talbot, but have mainly been teaching on the Sandfields Estate for the past twenty years. I love listening to music and it is my ambition to attend as many concerts as I possibly can. Whether it be a boy band or heavy metal, if I can get a ticket I am there!

PPA – Eden Brewer

I grew up in Pontypridd and I went to Cardiff University to study BSc Psychology. I then worked with adults and children with additional learning needs as a support worker and as a LSA. I then completed my PGCE at University of Wales Trinity Saint David. When I finished my PGCE I went travelling around Asia for nine months, and when I got home I worked as a supply teacher in lots of primary schools across Wales. I then worked as a year one teacher in a school in Porthcawl, before coming to Awel y Môr Primary. In my free time I enjoy reading, travelling, playing games, and taking my dogs on long walks.