KS2 Staff

Year 3P – Rebecca Phillips

I grew up in Swansea and completed a BA in Primary Education (Literature and Media Studies) at Swansea Institute. Since graduating I have taught in schools across Swansea and Neath Port Talbot, but have mainly been teaching on the Sandfields Estate for the past twenty years. I love listening to music and it is my ambition to attend as many concerts as I possibly can. Whether it be a boy band or heavy metal, if I can get a ticket I am there!

Year 3C  – Danielle Campbell

I grew up in Neath and studied Education and Psychology at Cardiff University before completing my PGCE at Trinity College Carmarthen.   After qualifying, I taught in Wiltshire for many years before moving back to Wales and joining Awel Y Mor in 2021.  I live with my husband, daughter Lily and dog Belle.  When I am not travelling to various dance competitions and festivals with my dance mad daughter, I love going on family dog walks and exploring new places.  I also love curling up with a good book, chocolate and a cup of tea and my ambition is to one day write a book of my own!

Year 4  – Rhiannon Toghill

I grew up in Neath and attended Dwr y Felin Comprehensive school. I always loved sport and played Netball since a young age. When I was 18 I went to University of Chichester to study a degree in education specialising in physical education. I lived and worked in Southampton after graduation and finally returned to Wales to get married in 2009. I spent a few years working in Cardiff before coming to work in Awel y Môr primary in 2015. In my spare time my family keep me very busy!

Year 4/5 – Nick Jones

I grew up in Maesteg and studied Sport at the University of Glamorgan. After graduating, I moved to Rotterdam, Netherlands, to play rugby and coach in schools and colleges, also I helped out with the Dutch under 18 team as they prepared for the European championships.

On returning to the UK, I worked as a one-to-one support in a school in Maesteg before going back to university to do my teacher training at Bath Spa.

In my free time I enjoy sport – playing and watching rugby and golf, travel and music – I love live indie rock music and enjoy going to gigs and festivals. I have a miniature dachshund named Hugo and enjoy taking him out on long walks on the beach.

Year 5/6 – Lisa Whiteman

I was born and brought up in Skewen and I have lived there all of my life.  I went to Dwr y Felin Comprehensive school then on to Neath College to do my A levels before going to Swansea University to complete a B.A.Ed Hons in Primary Education.
My first teaching post was in Croeserw Primary school where I stayed for 13 years. During in my time in Croeserw I studied part time to complete my M.A. Education degree.  I became SENCo there in 2013 before moving to Awel y Môr to become ALNCo in 2014.
In my spare time I love to spend time with my family going for long walks on the beach or in the countryside with our chocolate brown Labrador,  Cassie.

Year 6 – Emma Joy

I joined the Awel y Môr team in 2018 and I love being part of such a vibrant and caring school. I have always wanted to be a teacher and I began my teaching career after completing my PGCE at Swansea Metropolitan University. After a year as a supply teacher I moved to Weymouth (Dorset) to teach and was a teacher there for 5 years before moving back to Wales in 2017. I have worked across KS2 and I have been the subject leader for English and PE.
Outside of school I love spending time with my family. Being a first time mum everything is new and exciting watching my daughter grow and develop. I also love cooking, – I think about food nearly 24/7 and enjoy walking my dog (Wren).

Gemma Davies

I grew up in Bristol and moved to South Wales in 2001, where I obtained my GCSE’s and A-Levels at St. Joseph’s Comprehensive and Sixth Form Centre. I attended Trinity University College Carmarthen, where I studied BA Primary Education and qualified as a teacher in 2007. I started my teaching career at Glan y Môr Primary School and transferred to Awel y Môr Primary School. In my free time, I love having fun with my three children, going on outdoor adventures and trying new things.