Support Staff

Admin Officer- Emma O’Sullivan

I am from Baglan Moors. I went to Sandfields Comprehensive. I worked in Thomas Cook Travel Agency and then Halifax bank before joining the Admin Team at Awel y Môr. I have 2 girls and my partner has 2 girls , so we enjoy a very busy life doing lots of family activities together.

School Business Manager – Kelly Harvey

I grew up on Baglan Moors and have fond memories of my childhood there. I attended Traethmelyn Primary then Sandfields Comprehensive School.

I was previously a school admin officer at Traethmelyn Primary for many years. Alongside that role I decided to go back to university to obtain my degree. Following my graduation, I joined the local authority as a Primary Support Officer. The experience that I gained in that post lead me to secure a position as a School Business Manager. I have been at Awel Y Mor since it opened in 2013.

I have a partner who has two grown up sons. I also have two grown up sons and a younger daughter, not forgetting our Frenchie called Hunter. Our family can be a busy one! We enjoy days out and especially mini breaks and holidays.

Digital Admin Assistant – Gillian Rees

I’m a Margam girl born and bred and attended Dyffryn Comprehensive until going to Tycoch College in Swansea where I gained my qualification as a NNEB. I worked in lots of schools in the West Glamorgan area, until joining Croeserw Primary in 1991, I stayed there for 21 happy years until I took on a new challenge with the ELRS in 2012. When Awel y Môr opened in 2013 a new role was created to assist in the digital learning. This is something I have a passion for, I can be a bit of a geek! 2020 and I’m still here in a school rich with technology, giving me new challenges every day. I’m now part of the Office Admin team part- time alongside my role of Digital Learner. I’m married and have 1 daughter, who is currently training to be a teacher. Outside of work I enjoy sewing and crafting (making cake toppers) and love socialising with my family and close friends.

Engagement Officer – Gemma Ness

I grew up on Sandfields Estate. I began working with children from a very young age. I decided that when I left school I would go to college to complete a childcare course. From this I was offered a job in Tir Morfa Primary school this was also my placement school. I worked at many play schemes through the summer period and developed many new relationships.  I then completed my BCs Hons in childcare and Education whilst continuing to work in Tir Morfa. After graduation I decided to complete a Degree in Bilingualism, focusing on the Welsh Language. I then transferred to Awel y Môr in 2013.  I specialise in Social, Emotional Behavioural difficulties. I have co-ordinated many initiatives during this time. I have now moved on from working directly with children in the classroom to working with families within our school, supporting them and helping them engage into school life. I have 2 children that keep me entertained and very busy.

Well-being Officer and Nurture – Vicky Hibben

I’m from Briton Ferry and I have 1 son who loves football so most of my time is spent either watching him play or taking him to watch football games. I joined Awel y Môr Primary in 2014 and since 2018 have run the Nurture & ELSA programme throughout the school and I work closely with the Parent Engagement Officer with programmes such as Families Connect.

Key Worker- Louise Morgan-Griffiths

I am from Maesteg and have two beautiful  children.  I attended Maesteg Comprehensive and at 16 I went to work at Revlon Manufacturing. After 9 yrs I decided to retrain at Maesteg college and completed my NVQ’s in childcare. I was lucky enough to have a position in Ty Afan Primary PRU working with SEBD children for 12 yrs. In 2013 I started in  Awel y Môr in the PIC where I am the Key Worker. I am also trained as an ELSA and have run the Relationship based play programme.   In my free time I enjoy running and in 2019 I completed two full marathons within five months.

Teaching Assistant – Belinda Harris

I studied for my QCF level 3 in Child Care Learning and Development and have always worked in the Foundation Phase.

Teaching Assistant – Charleen Evans

I live in the local area and attended the local schools and colleges. I studied childcare at Neath college, but took employment within Retail and later at the DWP. I have been at Awel y Môr for 3 years, and I’m currently working in the foundation phase within the Nursery and Reception class.

Teaching Assistant – Sarah Phillips-Jones

I grew up in Port Talbot on Sandfields Est. I went to Sandfields Comprehensive school followed by Neath College, where I studied childcare at BTEC national diploma.
I started working in Glanymor Primary school in 2002, I worked there until Awel y Môr opened. I have worked with a every age group from nursery to year 6.

Teaching Assistant – Lisa Smith

I’m from Sandfields Estate. I when to Sandfields comprehensive school. I then went on to an NVQ in hairdressing and worked for 16 years in that profession. I then went on to do an NVQ in childcare. I done voluntary work and worked in Glanymor Primary school. I then join Awel y Môr primary.

Teaching Assistant – Kelly Hayes

I studied a childcare course in Afan College and finally completed a BA Honours Degree in Childcare Studies. I then started work in Glanymor Primary School for ten years before joining Awel y Môr Primary. Whilst at this school I’ve experienced working with children of all ages and different learning needs. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family, going for walks and taking them to after school clubs. 

Teaching Assistant – Sharon Staton

I have previously worked at Ty Afan PRU and Action for Children. I have 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren who are my world. I love animals and have 2 dogs and a cat. I enjoy eating out and taking the dogs to the beach and Margam Park.

Teaching Assistant – Jayne Evans

I live in Margam. I have 3 sons. I enjoy  going to Funky Pump and going for long walks. Working in Foundation Phase really suits me. I have two grandsons and 1 grandaughter, they are my world! I love them to the moon and back.

Teaching Assistant – Kirsti Griffiths

I am the proud mother of 3 daughters. I grew up in Cwmafan and attended Afan College in 91-93 completing my pre-nursing & caring course. I returned to college in 2007 and completed NVQ3 Children’s care, learning & Development. I started in in Glanymor Primary in 2007 until the opening of Awel y Môr. My hobbies include reading, listening to music, watching TV and films.

Teaching Assistant – Cathy Drew

I grew up on the Sandfields Estate and attended Sandfields Comprehensive. I then attended Afan College where I took at Business Course. I then worked as a tachograph reader for 6 years. I went back to college where I attained NVQ2 & 3 in Early Years Care & education. I then worked in Tirmorfa Primary School before transferring to Awel y Môr.

Teaching Assistant – Danielle Mortimer

I grew up and attended school and college in Port Talbot. I then went on to study Bsc Accounting and Management with French in Cardiff. After graduating, I travelled for 6 months. On returning home I completed a Management Traineeship with a High Street bank specialising in Business Banking. When I had my children I took a career break to look after them full time and started volunteering in their school then moving on to exam invigilating and teaching assistant supply in a number of schools in Neath Port Talbot. In my spare time I enjoy being outdoors with my family and socialising with friends.

Teaching Assistant – Mandy James

I am from the local area and attended local schools, as did my two children. I have over 20 years experience working in the Primary School setting as a Teaching Assistant. I have been trained to deliver intervention programmes to help support children’s specific learning difficulties. I appreciate how lucky our community is to have so many facilities in our area. I enjoy using the local leisure centre and spending time at the beach.

Teaching Assistant – Sian Jones

I’ve been a TA for over 12 years. I started working for EOTSS for about 7 years.  Then went to work for an agency for nearly 2 years and currently working in Awel y Môr. I’ve worked with children in comprehensive schools and currently working within KS2.  

Teaching Assistant – Karen Hill

I’ve been working as a TA at Awel y Môr since 2015. I walk to work as I live on the estate with my husband and dog. I love live music, reading, visiting castles and walking my dog.

Key Worker – Clare Bryce

I left college with a Level 3 Diploma and went straight into mainstream where I worked for three years. I then moved to work in Ty Afan and have been working in behaviour ever since. I am currently working in the PIC where we specialise in behaviour. I live in Margam and have two beautiful boys who keep me busy! We love going on walks together and exploring new places. I enjoy listening to music. 

Teaching Assistant – Jenny Davies

I have lived in Port Talbot most of my life and grew up in Cwmafan and now live in Margam.  After finishing school I enrolled at Afan College where I studied for my Diploma in Child Care and Education. A few years ago I started running a playgroup based in Taibach, which was so much fun. I have also worked at some local creches to gain experience and for 7 years up until a little while ago I was a key worker for adults with autism and additional needs. I have been at Awel y Môr for nearly a year now and I am looking forward to many more.

Teaching Assistant – Alex Young

I have previously worked in outdoor education for 20 years, mainly with children and young adults from London. I felt it was time to exchange the outdoor classroom of caves, rivers and mountains for an indoor class room with heating. I hope to help the children at Awel y Môr develop and thrive.

Teaching Assistant – Sacha McVane

Teaching Assistant – Danielle Funning

I grew up in Neath, I attended Llangatwg Comprehensive School. I have one daughter. I started in Awel Y Mor in 2021. I am currently studying BSC Hons Education Studies (primary). I have worked in both foundation phase and key stage 2 and now currently in foundation phase. I enjoy reading and listening to music.

Teaching Assistant – Sayoni Ghosh

I spent my formative years in India, where I went to school and college. I earned a Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy and later pursued a Master’s in Human Resource Management (MBA). After working in a prominent financial institution in India and then in UK, I took a break to care for my son. During this time, I discovered my passion for working with children, leading me to complete a Diploma in Child Care and Child Psychology. With experience in both foundation phase and key stage 2, I joined Awel y Môr in 2022.

My greatest joy is my son, who means the world to me.

Teaching Assistant – Holly Sheehy

I grew up in Port Talbot and went to Sandfields Comprehensive School. I started as a TA in Sandfields Primary in 2021 then came to Awel y Môr in 2022. I have always worked in Foundation Phase. In my spare time I like spending time with friends and family

Teaching Assistant – Conor Grogan

I studied my Level 3 childcare course at Tycoch college after I left school in 2021. I have worked in both Key Stage 2 and Foundation Phase. I joined the Awel Y Môr team in 2022

Teaching Assistant – Lisa White

I have 2 fabulous children who attended Awel y Môr. During this time I attended numerous courses, starting with the family engagement with my son and then various courses to help parents further their education, including classroom welsh, psychology, phonics and food hygiene. I completed my level 2 Diploma in Childcare through the school which gave me the encouragement to carry on my educational journey. I completed my Level 3 Diploma in Children’s care, play, learning and Development where I was placed in Awel y Môr to do my placement. I was then lucky enough to secure my current role and have the opportunity to give back to the school that allowed me to achieve so much.

Teaching Assistant – Sophie Davies