Foundation Phase Staff

Nursery – Amanda Thyer

I grew up in Swansea and attended Swansea Institute where I studied Primary Education to become a teacher. I knew from the age of 3 that I wanted to be a teacher and worked hard all through school to achieve my goal. I qualified in 2002 and started work as a supply teacher. After a few years I finally landed a full-time permanent position at Glanymor. I transferred to Awel-y-Môr when the old schools joined together to form one new one. In my free time I enjoy music, training at Funky Pump and watching t.v.

Reception  – Fran Sykes

I grew up in Port Talbot and after completing my ‘A’ levels in Afan College, I attended teaching training college in Carmarthen. In 1999, after four years, I graduated with a Bachelor of Education (History focus). Once graduating I moved to work in an outer London school in Thamesead, I worked in a Reception class for 18 months before returning to Port Talbot. On my return I undertook supply teaching teaching within NPT area, covering maternity and long term sickness in several local schools. In 2004 I moved to Somerset where I worked in a small school in a growing town. Here I worked mainly within Foundation phase for just over 12 years before returning to Port Talbot, and my most recent post within Awel y Môr.

Year 1 – Sophie Locke 

I grew up in Bridgend and attended Trinity College Carmarthen where I studied BA Primary Education with QTS. I qualified as a teacher in 2010 and began my teaching career in London. I taught in London for 7 years before moving back to Wales to continue my career. In my spare time I enjoy socialising with family and friends. I also enjoy travelling during the holidays!

Year 2A – Emma Locke

I attended Trinity College in Carmarthen where I trained as a primary school teacher. I taught in Bridgend County for 15 years in the infants/foundation phase before joining Awel y Môr in September 2018. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family and going on days out.

Year 2B – Eden Brewer

I grew up in Pontypridd and I went to Cardiff University to study BSc Psychology. I then worked with adults and children with additional learning needs as a support worker and as a LSA. I then completed my PGCE at University of Wales Trinity Saint David. When I finished my PGCE I went travelling around Asia for nine months, and when I got home I worked as a supply teacher in lots of primary schools across Wales. I then worked as a year one teacher in a school in Porthcawl, before coming to Awel y Môr Primary. In my free time I enjoy reading, travelling, playing games, and taking my dogs on long walks.